Checking in on those in the Weight Loss Challenge – how is your week going? Today would be a good day for a quick review of your goals and how the week has gone! I’ve been hearing a lot about vacation gatherings and Spring Break BBQs. If you have a gathering planned and wonder what to take, this is a great option! This salad will stay fresh under the layer of dressing and gets even better overnight in the fridge!
Seven Layer Salad
- 8 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes, or quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 3 strips cooked bacon, crumbled
- Place lettuce in a large bowl. Layer peas, bell pepper, tomatoes, celery and scallions on top.
- Whisk yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar to taste, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until smooth. Spread dressing evenly over the top of the salad (an offset spatial is handy for this, if you have one). Sprinkle with cheese, basil and bacon. Serve room temperature or chilled. Make ahead tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Sprinkle the fresh basil just before serving.
Makes 10 servings about 1 cup each
Nutrition information: (Quick reminder – this is including all the listed ingredients – if you change the recipe it will change the breakdown.)
Per 1 cup serving:
- 110 calories
- 3 g protein
- 9 g carbs
- 5.2 g fat
Please note – the nutritional information is approximate. If the ingredients are well mixed together this should be about what you get. This goes great paired with lean protein, like grilled chicken breast!
What’s your favorite healthy side to take to a gathering?